Thursday, February 10, 2011

Journal Topic #1-Quote

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.  ~Paul Sweeney


The author of this quote is Paul Sweeney he has written many popular quotes as well as novels. He is not an extremely famous author but is known by many. What the writer means by the quote is that, a good novel that you’re enjoying towards the end of it you are upset that it's over; you want to keep reading more. He uses it as an example as losing a friend, you spend time with the book just like a friend and when the book is over you've lost it. You get to know the book; as if you get to know a friend and when you’ve finished it, it is gone which is similar to the death and the loss of a friend but of course less traumatic. Although I find this only happens when you’re reading a book you’ve been enjoying. Many times when I am reading a good novel and it comes to an end I am very upset and want to keep reading. That is why I took the same understanding to the quote as the author did. I am very fond of this quote because I related to the quote and many times when I am finished a novel I feel the exact same way.

1 comment:

  1. I have read many books that have made me feel this way. Mostly it is because I have become so emotionally attached to the characters that I don't want to let them go. There have been books that have made me laugh and books that have made me cry, but the best ones have always stayed with me in some way. Reading your blog post made me think of a few. Still Alice, The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, All Quiet on the Western Front, My Sister's Keeper, Harry Potter, Lucky, The Lovely Bones, A Thousand Splendid Suns... just to name a few.

    On the other hand, there are many books that I just can't wait to finish (or don't bother to), just because the characters don't speak to me and yet others love them. I guess picking books is the same way we pick friends after all. No one is ever friends with everyone and no one ever loves all of the same books.

    ReplyDelete